PHOENIX – Nearly 16,000 Arizonans have died from COVID-19 since this pandemic took hold a year ago. The virus hasn’t just stolen people’s lives, it has upended livelihoods. Across our state, the pandemic has exacerbated economic disparities, making it harder for people to make ends meet and provide for their families. With Congress poised to move forward on President Biden’s American Rescue Plan, Arizona Democrats voice our support for this essential legislation.
The American Rescue Plan will deliver direct relief to working families and start beating the virus. The package:
- Provides direct relief checks to Arizonans.
- Extends unemployment insurance benefits to tens of thousands of Arizonans.
- Provides affordable child care that allows working AZ parents to get back to work.
- Increases the minimum wage to $15 an hour.
- Provides more support for small businesses.
- Extends the federal eviction moratorium and aid to low- and moderate-income households out of work.
- Provides funding for vaccines, testing, and Arizona schools.
Arizona Democratic Party Chair Raquel Terán issued the following statement:
“We are encouraged to see Democrats in Congress moving forward on this critical legislation, but time is of the essence. Arizonans are tired of waiting, they need relief now. Arizona Democrats urge our lawmakers to expeditiously push President Biden’s American Rescue Plan through both chambers and send it to his desk so that our state can get back on track. Arizonans helped deliver the Presidency, the House, and the Senate to Democrats in 2020 – let’s get this plan through and provide the relief Arizonan families so desperately need and have so patiently waited for. Let’s get it done.”