Fair and Competitive Districts
The Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission was created in 2000 when Arizona voters, by a margin of 12 points, passed Proposition 106.
Arizona voters demonstrated overwhelming support for this initiative, which took redistricting power away from politicians and created a new, five-member independent citizens commission with the mandate to draw “fair and competitive congressional and legislative districts.”
Arizona was one of the very first states to implement an independent redistricting commission. In 2021, Arizona is now in its 3rd decade of independent redistricting.
- AZCentral, “What is the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission?”
- Harvard University, “New Report Highlights Arizona as a Model for Redistricting Reform Nationwide”
IRC Info Sessions
The ADP is excited to offer weekly online info sessions that will inform Arizona Democrats and prepare us to make our voices heard in this round of redistricting.
Join us for an hour-long information session on the Arizona Independent Redistricting Commission. We’ll cover a history of the commission, how our maps are drawn, and how Arizonans can engage in this exciting process.
Stay up-to-date on Arizona Redistricting
Sign up today to receive the weekly ADP Redistricting update emails. Throughout the redistricting process, these email updates will provide the latest Arizona redistricting news, as well as information on how to get involved in the fight for fair and competitive maps.
- May 5, 2021: IRC Entrusts Arizona’s Maps to GOP Gerrymandering Firm with String of Court Losses
- April 20, 2021: GOP Firm with Long Trail of Gerrymandered, Court-Rejected Maps Attempt Back-door Application to Arizona IRC
- March 17, 2021: ADP Calls for Inquiry into IRC Executive Director’s Undisclosed $63,000 McSally Payday
- March 15, 2021: Arizona Democratic Party Urges IRC to Disqualify Republican Operatives in Executive Director Search
- January 21, 2021: Arizona Democratic Party Congratulates IRC on Chair and Vice Chair Selections
- January 14, 2021: Independent IRC Finalists Reveals Ties to Chair of GOP Recruitment Effort
- January 13, 2021: The Not So Independent Redistricting Commission
- December 7, 2020: Judge Fails to See Conflict of Interest With A Lobbyist And Trump Loyalist Joining the Independent Redistricting Commission
- November 20, 2020: Ducey-appointed Commission Moves to Shield Documents Related to Controversial IRC Selections
- October 23, 2020: ADP Statement on Democratic Legislatives Leaders’ IRC Lawsuit
- October 20, 2020: List of IRC Finalists Includes Just 7 Women, 4 People of Color
- October 9, 2020: Ducey-appointed Commission Disregards Public Concerns, Stacks the IRC List of “Independent” Candidates with Partisans
- October 6, 2020: Arizona Democratic Party Chair Calls For Reopening Of IRC Interview Selection In Response To New Report, Echoes Concerns Of Legislative Leaders
- September 18, 2020: Ducey-appointed CACA Advances Major Donors, Former Staffers In IRC Selection Process
- September 16, 2020: 11 Ducey Staffers and Major Donors Among IRC Applicants
- June 30, 2020: Arizona’s Transparent Redistricting Process is Under Attack
- January 17, 2020: AZ Democratic Party Seeks Transparency from Governor Ducey regarding CACA